Thursday, January 3, 2013

{Author Spotlight} Interview with Shannon Dermott


It is so fun to have Shannon Dermott here with us this month and today we have an interview with her. This interview will be all about her writing and we are so looking forward to read her answers! 


1. When and why did you begin writing?
It’s hard to pinpoint the when. I guess I started writing serious back in 2009.  What pushed me over the edge to actually put pen to paper was a number of things. The biggest reason being it was a dare to someone close to me that I could do it.

2. When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I’m not sure that’s hit me yet. I tell stories that hopefully people like to read.

3. What inspired you to write your first book?
What inspired me to write Beg for Mercy was to write something not done before in young adult paranormal. Based on feedback/reviews, I’m hoping I succeeded in that goal.

4. Do you have a specific writing style?
I tend to write more in first person. And I’ve been called the queen of cliffhangers.

5. How long does it take you to write a book?

It doesn’t take that long for the first draft.  However, it takes several months from the first rough draft to the final version.

6. Who is your biggest supporter about your work?
My fans are my biggest supports. If not for them, I probably would have given up writing after my books had been pirated over this past year.

7. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
I have the best readers. They talk to me on twitter, facebook, my blog, & email to ask all kinds of questions and let me know what they want. The biggest question I get lately is ‘When Angel of Mercy will be released?’. The next biggest question or comment is who Mercy will or should choose.

8. What genre would you say your books belong in?
The Cambion series is a young adult paranormal romance. Through the Lens/Broken Len are young adult contemporary romance novels.

9. Are the names of the characters in your novels important?
Hmm, I wouldn't say there is a story behind the names that has significance to either series. It may be true of another series I have, but that hasn't been released yet.

10. What about the titles?
In the Cambion series, the titles revolve around the name of the main character Mercy. The titles do mean something as do the covers. 
Through the Lens came around because a major focus in the story is a 35mm SLR camera that Jessa finds and her life will be brought into focus through the lens.

11. Are there any occupational hazards to being a writer?
Yes, there are times when my creative muse is flowing but I’m unable to write because it’s family time or other obligations that I have to attend to. But alternatively, my family has to share me with my computer.

12. How do you react to a bad review of one of your books?
I guess it all depends on how it was worded. I don’t expect everyone to love what I write. Every reader has their own preferences in what they like to read, style, etc. But I’m human, mean spirited reviews could hurt or piss me off. However, overall, I take all feedback as constructive.

More information about Shannon Dermott:

Shannon's webpage
Shannon on Twitter - - @Shannondermott
Shannon on facebook
Shannon on Goodreads
Shannon's blog



1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

My family has to share me with my computer, too. LOL